Poor Image Quality...Anyone?

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum, User Forum
Feb 16, 2011 at 10:48 PM

I have seen the earlier posts, but no one replies, is this not possible? I can take high quality images and use splicer to create the simple fading images and audio example and they always come out in bad quality. I was able to change the resize mode to preserve aspect ratio but that only clears them up a little bit. I am using the WindowsMediaProfiles.HighQualityVideo but no matter what I do, they still lose quality dramatically. Is this just a drawback to Splicer? If anyone has been able to successfully preserve photo quality, please let me know how.

Sep 14, 2011 at 5:00 PM

I am in the same boat. I used Splicer to create a video with 1024x768 size images. The result is terrible image quality in the video.

I've tried using a different .prx file and a hex editor to make changes to HighQualityVideo.prx, but the result is always a failed render.

If someone has implemented one of the Windows Movie Maker HD files ( such as WMV-HD-960x720.prx or PublishToFile1080p.prx ), I would love for you to share your compiled Splicer.dll. I think the hard coded 320x240 size is rather unfortunate, and I'm not able to work around the limitations at this time.

Sep 15, 2011 at 9:15 AM

Try this to make custom .prx files. You then have to download the splicer source and add-in the .prx to the source; re-compile the .dll and re-include in your project.

Sep 15, 2011 at 3:16 PM

Short version:

By the end of the day yesterday, I switched to ffmpeg.exe and moved on to the next step of my project.

Long version:

I had downloaded the latest splicer source and tried compiling a new splicer.dll for a few hours yesterday like you suggest. I tried changing values like the width and height in HighQualityVideo.prx using a hex editor. I tried using WMV-HD-960x720.prx, a file that comes with Windows Movie Maker. I even tried to combine the files. These attempts always resulted in a failed render as I mentioned above.

Interestingly, WMV-HD-960x720.prx seems to have been created with the tool you are suggesting. Inside the file I found:

<profile version="589824" 
             storageformat="1"
             name="WMV-HD-960x720"
             description="PapaJohn&apos;s Simulated high definition 720p">
Feb 23, 2012 at 8:59 AM

I know that this is an old thread, but I have a similar problem... The video quality is poor but additionally I don't know how to maintain aspect ratio of images.

How can I do it?

Jul 11, 2012 at 3:44 PM

@RaYWoLF

Have you found an answer to your question?

I'm having the same problems and I would like some help as well...

Jul 13, 2012 at 4:29 PM

I finally desisted on using Splicer. Instead of that, I simulated to play the video by putting the image for X seconds and advancing the time bar.

Mar 4, 2014 at 3:02 PM
I used the following search in google (for example):
wmv 720x480 filetype:prx

I was able to find many prx types this way. I copied to a text file, and then loaded the text real time and it worked fine,high quality video
Jul 3, 2014 at 12:58 PM
Thanks pselvey!

Just download any desired prx file, replace the file "splicer-source-1.0.0.0\splicer-source-1.0.0.0\Splicer\WindowsMedia\HighQualityVideo.prx" in the source code, rebuild the solution and get the new created Splicer.dll to your own project :-)