3D Transition Effects

Topics: Developer Forum
Mar 8, 2011 at 6:38 AM

Is it possible to add 3d transition effects?

And I am not understanding completely scanning the discussion posts, but I want to save my file at a particular dimension using the AVI format. All the pictures I am using are the same size 640x360 but when I use the AVIRenderer it creates a 1+ gig file but at the right size. Creating a WMV file is much smaller, but poorer quality and I lose the video size?

Mar 10, 2011 at 3:57 PM

AVI files are larger by nature. Uncompressed AVI at a framerate of 30fps using 640x360 resolution yields a file that has the equivalent of 30 640x360 bitmap images per every second of video. WMV is a compressed format, and is therefore smaller, yet because it is compressed you will lose some quality. And for the video size, you need to select the correct profile, or create your own (there are various threads here that discuss adding your own profiles without recompiling Splicer).

As for 3D transition effects, I have had zero luck in using the 3D effects library from Windows Movie Maker. It doesn't want to play nice. Depending on what the transition is, you could code it in yourself, but the render time will greatly increase and you will need to clean up files every so often. (You would render each frame of the transition individually using something like GDI+, and then add it to the timeline. However, when you add a programatically created image, Splicer creates a physical file first and then adds it to the timeline.)

Mar 11, 2011 at 1:47 PM

I'm just trying to get the Ken Burns effect, pan and zoom :( I really like this component so kudos to everyone who has worked on it. Is there any way to accomplish it with splicer?

Mar 11, 2011 at 7:40 PM

Zoom, yes. Pan, it gets complicated.

Zooming is part of the 2D effects library. Panning, oddly enough, is part of  the 3D effects library (Search Custom Windows Movie Maker effects). And since the 3D effects library does not play nice, you need to pretty much code it in yourself. It's not hard, but, using Splicer, expect your render time (and CPU) to increase greatly when applying a panning effect. Other options include using an AVIWriter class (not in Splicer, but search AVIWriter for whatever language you're using) and implementing functions to render effects and transitions yourself. However, if render time really isn't an issue, then you can go with Splicer. Just remember to clean up the files it creates when you use your coded effects periodically.