Multiple Transitions on the same Track(Layer)

Topics: User Forum
Developer
Jan 15, 2007 at 11:21 AM
Hi,

To my knowledge, DES supports adding multiple transitions to the same layer and at the same time.

For example, you want to add a Fade transition with a Keying.

when I use splicer, it gives me an error that "there are multiple transitions..."

Any ideas?

Thanks
Coordinator
Jan 16, 2007 at 7:56 AM
Hi FadiK,

You can have multiple transitions on a single track, but they cant overlap in time, there's some logic in Splicer to detect these overlaps and throw an exception (part of the TimelineBuilder class) - at any rate, to quote this msdn page:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms778954.aspx

"To set the start and stop times, call the IAMTimelineObj::SetStartStop method. These times are relative to the start time of the parent object. Effects can overlap within the same object, but transitions cannot."

For a fade transition with keying, you would have a couple of options - either create a composition containing the video clip and an image clip (or other video clip) you wanted involved in the key transition, and then create another composition containing the other media you wished to fade from or to... and add a transition between the two compositions. Or depending on what kind of fading your talking about (ie. do you just want to fade in from black?) then you could probably just add an effect to the video track, or the video group even.

You could always grab the code and disable the overlapping checks in the TimelineBuilder class if you wanted to see what happened :)

Cheers,

- Alex
Developer
Jan 25, 2007 at 7:35 AM
Hi Alex,

Thanks for the reply.
I guess I should've kept a closer eye on the msdn note :), I dunno how it evaded me.

I'll see what happens with me, and probably I'll use the composition idea.

Thanks again, and sorry I didn't have time to respond earlier.

Regards,

Fadi
Coordinator
Jan 25, 2007 at 7:23 PM
No problem Fadi, let us know how you get on :)